Saturday, March 14, 2009

Nairobi for the First Time...

This is Tanisha reporting from Nairobi, Kenya. After 24 hours, a small debate about Amsterdam being Dutch or Danish while on our layover in Amsterdam, 4 movies (including Australia- which I highly recommend) , and multiple airline meals including those tiny sealed cups of water, Becky and I arrived in Nairobi at about 8:30 pm last night and were able to get settled into our hotel last night and get to bed by 11pm.
I have forgotten that I have a love-hate relationship with mosquitoes. They love me, and I hate them. But by 1am I had already been bitten by a couple of mosquitoes and freaked Becky out by waking up abruptly and hurrying to spray the mosquito repellant on me and her. I also freaked her put later at 4am when I laughed out loud and lamented over the mosquitoes. Anyhow, we are taking the malaria pills-- and trying to repell the mosquitoes as best as possible. Not a big deal yet.

We already met with a contact who has been doing extensive work with Biosand Filtration and other development work in rural parts of Kenya. The meeting proved to be encouraging to both of us, and hopefully has set the pace for the rest of the trip. Tomorrow we are off to Njoro to meet Dr. Semenye and other project partners at Egerton University.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment