Friday, May 29, 2009

RWI team arrived to Kenya

This is Aseel reporting from Nairobi-Kenya and it is May 28, 2009. On May 23rd the four of us arrived to Nairobi safely after about 20 hours in air, US is really far and it feel so good to be closer to home (Iraq). We arrived exhausted, had a drink of Fanta and tea then went to bed. I suggested not to wake up early next day but surprisingly I was the first to wake up at 5:50 am (not very much like me, but I think I was still jet lagged). We spent the last four days meeting with different NGOs and individuals who we contacted before and learned more about Kenya people and the water sector. Yesterday was an exciting day; we visited two schools in the slums of Nairobi which was very touching and sad. The kids were so excited to see (Wazungu) which means white people in Swahili. They ran to us trying to shake hands which makes them very happy and telling friends that they greeted a white person, I don’t know what is special about us, is it just that they are not used to seeing white skin or white skin means that they will have a better meal or new clothes. Whichever it is what matters to us is to see them excited and happy.
We met Mama Lucy, the volunteer school manager who takes care of 220 kids and she asked us to pray for her to live 100 years so she can be around for these kids. Whenever we entered a class the kids in a chorus started singing “Good morning our visitor, how are you our visitor”, and whenever asked to sing they praise the Lord.
Nairobi is a poor city but I believe every city is poor in a different way, may be Kenya is poor in terms of food and clean water but as a first time visitor I see the richness it has more than the poverty. It is rich in green areas; I am amazed by the gigantic green plants everywhere. On Sunday, in each street you walk you will hear songs praising God and thanking Him for their life. People are nice, always smiling and very helpful.
A miracle has happened in regards to my visa back to the US… I was able to obtain a multi-entry visa within 48 hours of my first interview that took place this past Tuesday. I am able to come back to Ft. Collins to finish my degree, as well as see my family in Iraq!!!!
With US visa in hand the team and I will head to Njoro (the region of our pilot market) where we will spend 6 weeks working on our feasibility analysis. We have a lot of work to do, and will keep you updated on any exciting news. Our pictures will be uploaded as soon as we arrive at Egerton University in Njoro.
Kwa herini (Good bye)!

No comments:

Post a Comment